Friday, July 27, 2007

Raviloi for a race

The night before last I experimented with making my own pasta. Never done it before, and its quite easy. I made ravioli stuffed with my home grown basil and mozz. That was Wednesday night. Tonight is the 10 miler at Narragansett and I always eat pasta the night before a race, especially if its longer distance (and I plan on running the 10 plus some more after the race to make it count for my long run) THUS- I really wanted to make my own pasta again, for the second night in a row. So i did. AND OH SO GOOD IT WAS.
I wasnt going out for a run or working out so I stayed in a worked up some damn good ravioli.
heres what I did:
Mixed flour (about 3-4 cups- I dont measure), with 2 eggs and water, first eggs then add water to make moist enough to ball up the dough. Wrap it in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and let it sit while you make the stuffing. I sauteed garlic, chopped baby bella, chopped spinach. THEN THE HARD PART- its no wonder there are machines to roll out pasta, its hard. The dough should be elastic like, I split the ball in two pieces and roll out, then cut 2.5" wide strips and place a ball of the filling 2.5-3" apart from each other and take a strip that you cut and place it on top of the roll of filling. Cut inbetween the filling and seal the edges with a fork. EASY! then cook it for about 5 minutes. YUM. I made 35-40 raviloi in about 45-1hr. The thinner the dough you roll out the more you can make obviously, so with a machine you might get alot more rav.
I added romano cheese and mozz to the spinach mushroom combo too.
Ahh food.

No comments: